Located in Troy, Ohio (just north of Dayton), members and friends meet at the shop the first Saturday (or the second Saturday if the first Saturday falls on, or near, a holiday) of each month for a brief meeting. Following the meeting, a blacksmith comes in to demonstrate a design or technique. Prior to the meeting, and following the demonstration, members are invited to forge in the north end of the building, adjacent to the meeting area .
During the fall, winter, and spring, the shop is also open Wednesday evenings (except holidays), from 6 P.M. to 10 P.M., to any member who wishes to forge.
Until further notice, any person in our facilities for any reason is required to wear a face covering, per state-wide requirement, as well as abide by all social distancing requirements established by state and local jurisdictions.
Adlai Stein will be demonstrating this Saturday, 7 August.
About the demonstrator:
- Adlai is owner, president, and full time blacksmith at Macabee Metals.
- Adlai discovered blacksmithing in 1990 and he has been learning and forging ever since. Over the years he has created a variety of art, tools, knives and ornamental fixtures.
- Adlai loves teaching his craft to others and in 2008 he was a founding member and the first instructor at The Idea Foundry in Columbus, Ohio.
- In 2016 Bekah Saikas joined Macabee Metals to learn blacksmithing as an apprentice. She has become an integral and creative part of Macabee Metals. Her fabrication background and skills have propelled us forward.
- Adlai and Bekah offer a full line of blacksmithing services from home decor and architectural iron work to knife, sword, and tool making and just about anything else that can be imagined.
- In 2017, Adlai competed on History Channel’s Forged in Fire (Season 3, episode 13). The popularity of the show inspired him to teach more and open Central Ohio School of Metalwork.
- In 2018, Macabee Metals moved from its home at the Idea Foundry to their own shop in Franklinton, along with its education branch, Central Ohio School of Metalwork. If you are interested in learning the art of blacksmithing or metalwork for groups or individuals, contact us at https://www.cosommetalwork.com/
- To see examples of Adlai’s work and find out more about Macabee Metals and Adlai please visit their website at: https://www.macabeemetals.com/